[IP] Gene therapy and Type 1

My husband brought home an article from TODAY"S CHEMIST AT WORK (November
1998)entitled "REWRITING THE SCRIPT FOR DISEASE AND DEATH"

The article discusses the status of gene therapy.  It indicated that after
positive results with animals some have gone to human clinical trials.

Diseases like cystic fibrosis, Gaucher's disease, hypercholesterolema and
AIDS are in human clinical trials.  Several kinds of cancer are in human
clinical trials with limited tumor suppression. ADA deficiency (bubble boy)
is in human trials with a "functional cure."

So where's Diabetes?  Its back with Parkinson's and Hemophilia in Rodent
Trials:  with an apparent cure! (according to the article)  Why isn't gene
therapy for diabetes in Human trials?!  the article doesn't address that
question.

The article gives web sites.  I have not visited them but I thought someone
might be interested.  there are no web sites mentioned that specifically
address diabetes and gene therapy.

the Institute for Human Gene Therapy
http://www.med.upenn.edu/ihgt/index.html

GeneMed Network: http://genemed.org/