[IP] One year!

Greetings all!

I nearly fogot to say - yesterday was my first anniversary of pumping.
Yippee! A fantastic year it has been too diabetes-wise. After 21 years
I'm finally understanding how this diabetes thing works, and have got
some decent tools to control it.

On a different matter, I also received a lovely email from "Mr Diabetes
UK" himself - a Prof called Harry Keen. He's the chairman of the British
Diabetic Association, and guru of all policy matters diabetical.

This is what he wrote:

> Dear John
> Thanks for your message of enquiry.  There is no 'official' BDA policy on
> insulin pumps at present.  Considering that I invented the technique in
> 1977 and with the developmental energy and drive of John Pickup, then a
> young research doctor who joined me for the purpose, we led the pack, it is
> rather remarkable that we have for a decade dropped so far behind.  The
> current general UK professional opinion is that the 'basal and boost'
> injection regimen is as good as pumping though some will agree that
> overnight control is better on pump.  In fact, my view, and I think that of
> John Pickup, is that some people do better on pump and some on multiple
> injection regimens.  We sparked off a good deal of initial enthusiasm in
> Britain and there was a fair amount of exploratory activity, comparing pump
> and multiple injection regimens in the UK in the early 1980s, but pumps
> were still moderately primitive and of course much more costly than
> injection.  In a number of comparative studies that were done (most of them
> on something of a shoestring), no clear advantage of pump over multiple
> injections emerged.  That being so, and with the NHS in somewhat
> unsympathetic hands, it was difficult without clear evidence of advantage
> to mount a forceful campaign to get pumps and gear prescribable on the NHS
> and so interest faded.  This was in the face of clear if anecdotal evidence
> that for some individuals, both the level of diabetic control and the
> quality of life was greatly improved by CSII.  Even after the gee whiz
> aspect of a new technology had worn off (and the power of this must not be
> underestimated) there was a significant number of individuals in the UK who
> found pump life preferable to the multiple injection regimen, for whatever
> reason.  My own feeling is that, mistakenly, many of my professional
> colleagues took the view that since everyone on insulin didn't benefit from
> pumps, that they had no place for anyone on insulin - or at the most, for a
> very very limited group - in treatment.  You might think about reopening
> some debate about the subject with a letter to Balance (or even to the
> Nationals if your feelings are strong enough).  Best of luck
> Harry Keen

I broadly agree with him, although I suspect even he doesn't fully
appreciate the recent advances with flexible cannulas,
crystal-preventing tubes and carbo-matching Humalog.

Best wishes to everyone.

mailto:email @ redacted