Re: Subject: [IP] a ltr. to myself

Emily,

I just got out of a similar situation with a boyfriend.  I haven't had too many problems with reactions lately, but he was always "concerned" with my bg'. (This was pre-pump).  He told me that he didn't want to marry me (after 3 years together) because he thought my bg's were too high and I didn't test enough and I was probably going to be sick and die in a few years because I was to lazy to keep myself in control.  I have not had ANY complications yet.  I think one thing people assume is that it is easy to be completely logical about this disease and that the disease will always respond in a logical way.  Once in a while, the disease does NOT respond in a logical way (as those of us who have extended highs where nothing seems to work, or excessive lows where nothing seems to bring them up know).  But, for those of us who have had this from childhood into adulthood know, diabetes also brings up many emotional issues as well.  My mother told me I was going to die when I was 32 because I had a bg of 300 one day when I was 12.  My boyfriend told me he couldn't marry me for the same reason.  Intellectually, it seems easy to do (especially when you don't have to actually do it).  But emotionally, many of us just want to be NORMAL and want to be treated as such.  ONLY YOU can take care of your diabetes.  That may make your boyfriend feel helpless, but his comments which are intended to motivate you will most likely make matters worse.  Please know, that we all understand your feeling badly about the public reaction.  Please know that we all trust you to do the right thing for yourself.  When I broke up with my boyfriend, voila... I started testing more regularly, mostly because I wasn't being goaded into doing it every day.

Just my thoughts.  Hang in there!

Lisa
(P.S.  I JUST GOT THE RESULTS OF MY FIRST A1C SINCE GOING ON THE PUMP................. 5.9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >BIG GRIN<  EVEN MY MOM WAS IMPRESSED!!)