Re: [IP] Bill of Rights/ Getting UGLY AT SCHOOL~~~

email @ redacted wrote:
> The principal at my daughters school announced to me today that he has decided
> that she CAN keep her meter in the classroom but ONLY under lock and key.

Such malarkey!!!

> is not comfortable with a lock that has a key in it because she might lose it
> and then another child could access it.

And exactly WHAT, pray tell, does he think the danger is? Another child might
it to prick themselves or somebody else, and the harm in this is?????? If he's
worried about liability, does he allow students to use compasses to draw
since that long steel point can cause so much more damage than the short lancet

 He suggested a combination lock and I
> said "good grief she is only 8 and if if her blood sugar is in the 40 range
> how in the world could she manage to do a combination lock?"  He said that is
> MY problem not his and i need to take care of it but that by him conceding to
> keep it in the classroom he is looking out for her needs but also has a great
> concern for the liability of leaving equip like this around.

NO, it IS HIS problem, if he wants his school to receive ANY Federal aid. This
is a Federal law, your child's medical needs MUST be allowed for in a realistic
manner, or all aid can be removed from their budget. Just ask him if he thinks
he can keep his job if this discriminatory practice continues and your complaint
gets the entire school system off Federal aid.
> I suggested keeping it in the teachers desk but that is not secure enough for
> him.  I even offered to buy some type of box to keep all of her supplies,
> glucose, juice, etc in but that wasn't acceptable unless it can be padlocked
> shut.  I hate to give her a key because then what if it is lost and she can't
> get into check.  the combination lock route most likely wont work either.
> Why can't she just be allowed to just go check and take care of her business
> and sit back down without it becoming an ordeal?  I am so frustrated now that
> I want to cry.  I feel like I am always fighting for her rights and it gets
> tiresome after a while.  I know I have touched on this topic before but does
> anyone have any suggestions that he might go for.

Sounds like a full blown confrontation with legal backing and publciity is the
next step. Does your community have a TV or newspaper help line? If so call them
and ask if they want to support the need for you daughter to avoid possible long
term complications such as kidney failure, amputation or blindness because this
fool insists on ridiculous rules to "protect" people from taking her needed
and doing something stupid (and unrealistic or impossible) with them.

Also, check if there is an ADA office in the area, they might (hopefully) be
to assist you, though I rather doubt it.

Ted Quick