Re: [IP] Bill of Rights/ Getting UGLY AT SCHOOL~~~

It sounds like the principle's concern is theft and vandalism. He has to
tell you to lock the box. He has good reason to worry about theft and vandalism.
If you do not comply he is not liable for theft.
"It is easier to be forgiven than permitted."
Go with a modified padlock that opens when pulled. Just ask a locksmith.
Have your daughter unlock the box in the morning and lock it before she goes home.
Give him a note from your doctor that says, "it is unreasonable to expect
a diabetic to work a combination lock before accessing diabetic supplies"
She could keep a "fast take" meter next to her pump with a letter from you.
If the teacher confronts her, she flashes the letter and says, "I'm not supposed
to get involved in the controversy".
"At your discretion we will seek an alternative method of schooling but under no
circumstances are you to remove this medical device from her possession."
Well, you don't want F. But in my book you get an A for effort.

>>> <email @ redacted> 12/15 10:58 AM >>>
The principal at my daughters school announced to me today that he has decided
that she CAN keep her meter in the classroom but ONLY under lock and key.  He
is not comfortable with a lock that has a key in it because she might lose it
and then another child could access it.  He suggested a combination lock and I
said "good grief she is only 8 and if if her blood sugar is in the 40 range
how in the world could she manage to do a combination lock?"  He said that is
MY problem not his and i need to take care of it but that by him conceding to
keep it in the classroom he is looking out for her needs but also has a great
concern for the liability of leaving equip like this around.

I suggested keeping it in the teachers desk but that is not secure enough for
him.  I even offered to buy some type of box to keep all of her supplies,
glucose, juice, etc in but that wasn't acceptable unless it can be padlocked
shut.  I hate to give her a key because then what if it is lost and she can't
get into check.  the combination lock route most likely wont work either.

Why can't she just be allowed to just go check and take care of her business
and sit back down without it becoming an ordeal?  I am so frustrated now that
I want to cry.  I feel like I am always fighting for her rights and it gets
tiresome after a while.  I know I have touched on this topic before but does
anyone have any suggestions that he might go for.

Thanks,   Sherri