Re: [IP] Bill of Rights/ Getting UGLY AT SCHOOL~~~

On 15 Dec 98 at 13:58, email @ redacted wrote:

> The principal at my daughters school announced to me today that he has decided
> that she CAN keep her meter in the classroom but ONLY under lock and key.  He
> is not comfortable with a lock that has a key in it because she might lose it
> and then another child could access it.  He suggested a combination lock and I
> said "good grief she is only 8 and if if her blood sugar is in the 40 range
> how in the world could she manage to do a combination lock?"  He said that is
> MY problem not his and i need to take care of it but that by him conceding to
> keep it in the classroom he is looking out for her needs but also has a great
> concern for the liability of leaving equip like this around.

Just suggest that you will contact a lawyer if she cannot remember the
combination and needs the meter.  Remind him that he is already facing
liability because of failure to make reasonable accomodations in a public
facility...  Or get him to sign a contract that he personally will accept full
liability for any ill effects of his refusal to allow proper treatment.   Don't
give up.  You could even tell him "My lawyer can beat up your lawyer..."

> I suggested keeping it in the teachers desk but that is not secure enough for
> him.  I even offered to buy some type of box to keep all of her supplies,
> glucose, juice, etc in but that wasn't acceptable unless it can be padlocked
> shut.  I hate to give her a key because then what if it is lost and she can't
> get into check.  the combination lock route most likely wont work either.
> Why can't she just be allowed to just go check and take care of her business
> and sit back down without it becoming an ordeal?  I am so frustrated now that
> I want to cry.  I feel like I am always fighting for her rights and it gets
> tiresome after a while.  I know I have touched on this topic before but does
> anyone have any suggestions that he might go for.

I'd bet he is an "education professional"... they can be worse than even
medical professionals, because they are teachers and already know everything
there is to know...  That means they are unteachable...  You need to contact
your local ADA chapter to see what they recommend.  You could also see if there
is an investigative reporter for a TV or newspaper who would like to do a
feature... "Local Principal Endangers Children" or "Local Principal
Refuses to allow sick child Medical treatment" looks good on a headline and
really impresses the school board too...
Randall P. Winchester
* misunderstood something.