From: Randall Winchester <email @ redacted>
To: Ruth Elowitz <email @ redacted>; email @ redacted
<email @ redacted>
Date: Tuesday, December 15, 1998 9:35 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Sites wearing out

On 14 Dec 98 at 1:36, Ruth Elowitz wrote:

> The length of time for sets also seems to be variable.  If I get a good
> site, it is great for as long as 8 days (possibly more but I know longer
> those long stretches).  It works good, the absorprtion is good, it leaves
> little scaring, its comfortable etc...  If I get a bad site it lasts 2
> or 24 hours or sometimes even two days but it is uncomfortable and doesn't
> work well within 24 hours of insertion.  The obvious solution is not to
> in "bad" places but nailing what makes them good or bad is hard. Then
> are some sites that do great and clearly suffer from humalog

Blaming everything on humalog deterioration may not be the right approach.
thing that hasn't been mentioned is the body's normal response to foreign
objects.  Ever have a splinter?  One that you couldn't get out?  It takes it
about three days for your immune system and tissue-repair systems to start
inflamation cycle that eventually results in your body either rejecting the
foreign object or building a wall of scar tissue around it.  This same
mechanism is working on the infusion site - that's why you see an increase
inflamation, irritation and other symptoms on longer sites.  Some of the
sites" that last longer may be sites where the body systems aren't working
quickly or as well...   You are balancing on a tightrope here, attempting to
maximize the use of a site while minimizing the damage to that site.  Your
milage will definitely vary because no two of us react the same to this type
"injury."  It's all a balancing act, and we just try to keep things going as
well as we can....

Randall P. Winchester
* misunderstood something.