Re: [IP] Wow- Dan responds to a ltr. to myself

 Don't mean to overwhelm you with personal stories but this might help you see
this incident a little differently.

I spent much of my college and two years of grad school with lows that came out
of no where and often landed me unconscious or in the hopital or with the
paramedics.  It was a terrifying time, especially since after years of being
diabetic, at that point I was doing everything by the book -- by the book as it
was taught to me.  It turns out of course that your equation is correct for me
some of the time, but not very often.  For long periods of time (when I'm in
better shape) if I plan ahead, I need little or no food to exercise and insulin
after.  Sometimes, I need food before.  Sometimes, if I eat the food before
that backfires.  In other words, there are many variables.  Exercise and food
are two.  Blood sugar is another.  Time of the month a third, how in shape you
are a fourth, tiredness and stress a fifth and so on.  There are some diabetics
for whom these variables are relatively stable.  For most of us, they are not
quite that good and for some of the time for some of us, they are hard to
measure.  Add to that the fact that as your blood sugar drops your brain gets
foggy and the bottom line is simply eating is not anywhere near as easy as it
ought to be.

I appreciate your frustration.  It is very understandable.  Unfortunately, this
was the reaction of my few close friends when I had problems.  It wasn't until
years later, until I had learned to be completely self sufficient, when I met
my husband, that I learned what an enormous difference it makes when you have
someone caring and warm and forgiving around when bgs don't work or when you
just screw up.  Not only did it cure much of my perpetual head and stomach
aches, but the reactions decreased -- we dealt with it together and it is far
easier to avoid an emergency.   For a long time, I thought it was all my
fault.  Then, I learned some new things (mostly about the fact that all those
absolutes -- like the ones is your equation -- I started pumping with were not
at all absolute and I could identify the variations), and wondered if the real
problem was lack of info.  In recent years, as my life has changed and the
people around me have been more supportive than ever before, I've sometimes
realized that the lack of support was a tremendous handicap -- and not one
everybody faces.   After I had an icident like the ones you and Emily describe,
I used to feel beat up, like my whole body hurt, like I could hardly move and
couldn't think.  While they rarely happen anymore, when they do I simply feel
like "oh no", it hurts a little, it is a little humiliating, but surprisingly
enough I am still me, still capable.   You might want to ask yourself what the
value of punishment is -- does it really improve control?