Re: [IP] Sites wearing out

> Could you expound a bit on the site problems after years of pumping?  Is
> it related to scar tissue and poor absorption of the insulin?

Part of the problem is that I've been doing this so long there are
definately multiple causes.  One cause is scar tissue.  Infections cause
scar tissue.  So do those bumps from the humalog and sometimes from the
velosulin although for some reason they only seem to cause scar tissue long
term -- a single bump does  clear up and disappear.  It seems to be a year
or more of bumps in close vicinity that cause the biggest kind of problems.
After years of thinking they would never work again, I've suddenly noticed
lately than some of them have improved and even disappeared -- so basically
they take 7-10 years (? some of them), once they get bad, to really go
away.   Not everything causes scar tissue every time.  Yes, it does seem
similar to the long term problems from regular injections (minus the bumps)
back before the syringe needles were so tiny.

> I've been pumping for nearly 4 months, but having a history of more than
> 27 years of injecting insulin, I have lots of scar tissue from those
> years.  I still seem to have an easier time with absorption of "injected
> insulin" in those areas compared to "pumping" in those areas.  I realize
> this is related to other factors such as the length of time the infusion
> site has been in.  I have taken your advice and try to "stretch" the
> time I have the sites in for financial reasons.

The length of time for sets also seems to be variable.  If I get a good
site, it is great for as long as 8 days (possibly more but I know longer try
those long stretches).  It works good, the absorprtion is good, it leaves
little scaring, its comfortable etc...  If I get a bad site it lasts 2 hours
or 24 hours or sometimes even two days but it is uncomfortable and doesn't
work well within 24 hours of insertion.  The obvious solution is not to
inject in "bad" places but nailing what makes them good or bad is hard.
Then there are some sites that do great and clearly suffer from humalog
deterioration.  These markedly change after 2 1/2 or 3 or 4 days and you can
visually see that they have changed.  At the soonest possible point, they
just need to come out.    Humalog clearly doesn't last as  long.  Looking at
this now, I think what I am saying is that there are site problems and there
are humalog problems and you have to solve for both.

I don't know if that helps any and I suspect that all the grown ups who have
been pumping happily for a year or two will feel that this is untrue.  It
was certainly untrue the first year or so I had a pump.  Long term though it
has been true again and again.  I've only been pumping humalog for a year so
my experience there is more limited.

This is probably not very helpful.  It's just observation.  Might give you
something to experiment with though.