Re: [IP] School Bill of Rights ~~~

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Kasey Sikes wrote:

> > Remember the key in these cases is REASONABLE ACCOMODATIONS - which
> > looks at how much will it cost the school (in your case not much) and
> > how reasonable is it, in your case extremely!
> >
> > You will need to press forward, go to State Superintendent, governer,
> > news, or whatever you need.
> Actually, put the burden on the principal, not yourself.  Simply state
> that your daughter WILL be keeping her meter with her at all times.
> Period, paragraph.  Then let the principal try to make a stink.  Save
> yourself time and energy and don't pull out the big guns unless you have
> to.  Let her/him do make the phone calls contacting the powers that be
> to see if it's okay.  Just do it your way and see what happens.  My bet
> is that nothing will happen annd you've saved yourself time, phone
> calls, and stress.
Yeah, actually Kasey's right. I remember now that both Lily's middle
school and high school wanted her to have an extra set change, syringes,
meter, strips, glucose, insulin.... the whole she-bang in the health care
office (they don't even have a nurse). We simply ignored them.
Lily carries what she feels she needs (meter, strips, a single small
syringe, glucose tabs)
with her in her pack. The school never follows up. Seems to me we get an
annual letter when school starts, but that is all.

On the flip side of that, I make sure and give each of her teachers and
coaches the "Teachers and Coaches" letter every year at the beginning of
school (see the kid's page of the web site, upper right side).

As Kasey says, if they want to make a stink, let them do all the work.