Re: [IP] School Bill of Rights ~~~

At 11:56 AM 12/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I was just out on the Children w/ Diabetes website and read the School
Bill of
>Rights for Diabetic children.  Can someone please explain what this is?
Is it
>just a suggestion of what rights Diabetic children should have access to
OR is
>it an actual legislative bill?

Sherri, give me the location of the site.  I want to review it.

>Once again Laura's school principal wants her glucometer kept in the office
>"where it is safe" and we want it left in the classroom.  Obviously she will
>test more often and maintain better blood sugar readings if she has easy
>access to it but we are encountering some mild problems with cooperation.
>Thankfully, the school nurse is behind us and I hope it is just a matter of
>educating the principal.
>But I am curious if anyone knows anywhere it is stated that she has the right
>to keep her meter with her...

I am a special education teacher and I have been a principal.  I know worse
things than your experience happen in schools.  First, explain again why
she needs her meter in the classroom.
Listen to why they have the procedure the way it is.  How old is your
daughter?  The safety of the meter is an excuse.  But take away their
liability for it by saying they are not responsible if it's lost of stolen.
 If the principal won't bend, tell him (?) you want to have a meeting with
him and the 504 officer of the school district to develop a written plan to
accommodate your child's disability.  Your daughter is covered by Section
504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act.  Tell them if they don't write
a plan you can agree to, you will file a formal complaint under Section
504.  They will then
let your daughter keep the meter in the classroom.  Questions?  Write me.