Re: [IP] Question: Jobs, Diabetes, & Discrimination

Fran Baumgartner wrote:
> Currently I am in a position where I really don't like my job and I've
> been offered a job that I would really like, pay is better and benefits
> are better.  My dilemma.  I work for a Government Agency, the College.
> You pretty much work 40 hours a week, if that.  No problem for doctors
> appointments, etc.. This is the first time I've worked in a Government
> position.  I have worked in "Corporate America" most of my adult life,
> except for this current position of 1 1/2 years.  This other position
> would bring me back into the Corporate world.  My fear is that I know
> from working in Corporate that it can get very nasty if you miss too
> much time and too much is defined in many different ways.  I don't go
> into a place of employment and expect to miss a lot, but one never
> knows.  I was just wondering what other people do and if anyone uses the
> Americans Disabilities Act to help them out in tough situations.  I
> don't know why, but I have a difficult time with this.  I don't like to
> make a big fan fare or get any special 'privileges, yet I want to know I
> can protect myself if necessary.

How are they special priveleges? If you need to go to a doctors appointment
or such in order top maintain your health and working ability they must
allow it. Yes, that is a purpose of the ADA, but you don't want or need to
make it an issue based on that, just tell them matter of factly that you are
going to your doctor (or whatever) in a timely manner and leave it at that.
If they make noise about it ask how they'd feel if they weren't permitted
to get treated for a life threatening situation. After that you might
mention the ADA to escalate concern, but don't be blatent or abusive about

Ted Quick