[IP] Re: Kinds of pumps

David ,
You are five years younger than me and have had diabetes one year longer than me. I totaly agree with your post. What about the new interperiatonal infustion set from disetronic, delivering insulin to the liver not the skin.

Guess what. I'll be opening up a fedex on Friday with my insulin pump. I chose the 3 month supply of sihluettes and the 43 inch tube. Oh great, well you guys liked the longer ones. So I'm walking into adjustment city. But no more forgetting a shot and straining my brain trying to remember.

My worst HI:
I still remember a day at work with no insulin since last night's N. Lunch that day was painful and was my first inclination that I had forgotten my shot. I didn't know if I could make the walk home at the end of the day to inject.

My coolest accomplishment:
Recently I was 7.5 a1c testing BG *4/week. I didn't test much because I could feel where my BG was and I knew what to expect from insulin.

My worst secret:
I told people I didn't have a sweet tooth. My sweet tooth waited until I controlled the timing. I would bolous big and wait for the "effect" and eat the sweets.

My worst revelations:
Independence is not living and I spent days at work with low BG.

My worst LOW mentaly:
First of the three times I tested on my last vacation I was low, second was hi, and third was acceptable. I still remember those lows with horor. Once I was so confused sinking deeper I stood frozen in place leaning against an open window sill eventually loosing conciousness but remaining standing. A friend who interupted my revery had seen some reactions and told me to eat something. I was so befuddled it took her strong persuasion.

My worst LOW physically:
On a summer trip to Washington in a remote cabin. My friends planned a two day backpack trip into the mountains. I told them I'ld have to go with them to buy the food. They said tell us what you want and we'll get it. They came back and said whoops we forgot. So I went up there with no extra food except tubes of jelly-jam. I tried to eat some before bed but it was so hard to eat. I was so cold that night and woke up late in the day being spoon fed heat concentrated sugar water.

My worst pain:
I had learned that thirst means I'm hi but that didn't apply in the tropics. I think I also intentionaly dehydrate so I don't get up to pee. Dehydration in the tropics was indescribable.

>>> <email @ redacted> 12/08 7:40 AM >>>
David O,
Minimed also had an implantable pump that is still in development in the US,
though I believe it may be available in Europe.  I read some studies on it's use
and it still needs work.  My endo also was involved in some clinical trials with
it and he was not impressed with it.  I fully expect an implantable pump to be
available in the US within 2, maybe 3 years, though.  Minimed sold the
technology for their implantable pump to another company, but still maintains
exclusive marketing rights for the future.
Personally, I'm not overly excited about an implantable that functions the same
as my 507, but I'm also pretty lucky by not having any site problems, either.
A bigger benefit would be "instant" response to insulin.  Continuous BG
monitors would be more important to me.
David W.
 <I was reading there are 2 kinds of pumps. One is put inside the body and the
 <other is connected on the outside. What do you think is the best way to go
 <when getting on the pump, and how did you find the surgery if you had the
 <insulin pump installed inside was.