Re: [IP] Kinds of Pumps?

At 04:51 AM 12/9/1998  Ted Quick wrote:
>Sam Skopp wrote:
>> As far as I know there are no implantable insulin pumps available in the
>> US. There is, however, an implantable blood glucose meter that is being
>> developed by MiniMed. I don't know what the time frame is, but I've heard
>> it's in the late stages of human trials right now.
>Not quite, Sam. The new meter willbe very much like your pump and infusion
>with a sensor pushed through the skin and used for several days, then
>technology hasn't yet gotten past the problem of putting a sensor into the
>that won't be attecked by our bodies or surrounded by scar tissue, inflamation
>or infections.

Thanks for the correction. The way that it was explained it to me at the
Dr's office, it sounded quite different. (Either that, or I got it confused
with something else). Sorry.

Too bad the sensor can't be combined with the infusion set (one less thing
to change)... however, it would be a major challenge to differentiate
between the BG levels at the site where the insulin is being pumped and the
"real" BG levels, elsewhere in the body.