[IP] Question: Jobs, Diabetes, & Discrimination

Currently I am in a position where I really don't like my job and I've
been offered a job that I would really like, pay is better and benefits
are better.  My dilemma.  I work for a Government Agency, the College.
You pretty much work 40 hours a week, if that.  No problem for doctors
appointments, etc.. This is the first time I've worked in a Government
position.  I have worked in "Corporate America" most of my adult life,
except for this current position of 1 1/2 years.  This other position
would bring me back into the Corporate world.  My fear is that I know
from working in Corporate that it can get very nasty if you miss too
much time and too much is defined in many different ways.  I don't go
into a place of employment and expect to miss a lot, but one never
knows.  I was just wondering what other people do and if anyone uses the
Americans Disabilities Act to help them out in tough situations.  I
don't know why, but I have a difficult time with this.  I don't like to
make a big fan fare or get any special 'privileges, yet I want to know I
can protect myself if necessary.  I hope this makes sense and would
appreciate any feedback.