Re: [IP] Will Not Use The Pump.

>I thank all for your help and support with different pump issues.
>My 7 year old daughter has decided she will not use the pump.
>She said, she thought it was a good idea but when we got it she was
>scared, she was only going to use it to make me happy because she could
>tell I really wanted it for her. So we agreed that if she like to use it
>in the future she would let me know.

Here's some anecdotes with concentrated argument to consider, now or future.

When I inquired of my endo about the pump, he suggested I go on a regime of
multiple daily injections; that is, starting at four shots daily (two with
long acting mixed with regular insulins) and increasing the numbers of
injections, determined by multiple testing, as needed.  In my experience,
that required six to eight tests and injections daily.  In my endo's
estimation, that sort of treatment most closely approximated what had to be
done pumping.

How does your daughter respond to having to do that sort of treatment?
She's probably going to have to do treatment for a long time, longer than I,
diagnosed at 37 years, will have to.

I achieved hba1c in the 6% range with multiple daily injections, while
enduring one to two major hypoglycemic episodes each month, for about two
years.  After breaking two toes and my nose, and coming close to fracturing
my skull, each in separate hypos, and while I still had carpet burns on my
face from the last one, the doctor finally agreed I needed to go on the

The hypos were result of use of long-acting insulins "sneaking up" on me
during sleep or when I was too involved in something else to remember to eat
lunch.  Has your daughter had similar experiences?

The pump is much more forgiving of a spontaneous schedule because it uses
only fast acting insulin and a much reduced amount of insulin is present in
the body at any time.

I was pumping a month later and since have not had a hypo requiring third
party intervention.  My hba1c improved by almost 20%.  In retrospect, I wish
I had started pumping much earlier, from diagnosis.

Now my opinion and belief:  Does one have to be intensely involved in
regulating the pump?  Of course.  But not any more involved (and maybe even
a little less) than intense control using multiple daily injections.  Also
consider how much better the math can be when getting so much practice ;-)

It is a drag that anyone should have to be so intensely involved in the
treatment of a disease, let alone a seven year old (I have a seven year old
son myself).  I appreciate what you and your daughter are confronted with.

I guess my point is that your daughter has similar problems with or without
the pump.  And that, in my opinion, the pump makes them easier to deal with.

It apparently doesn't detract from a person's beauty to have tubing attached
to her body, I.E., Miss America wears a pump.

It is the opinion of the wife of this diabetic that the elimination of the
highs and the lows is the major aspect of pumping.  And, as the mother of
that seven year old, she thinks the pump would be appropriate, considering
the alternatives.

Now the question she asks is what, particularly, does your daughter have
AGAINST the pump.

Best wishes in any case.