Re: [IP] Re: Anti-Depressant and BGs

I'm not sure if you've received any responses on this yet. I snipped this
from an old post of mine, you may find it useful:

Two articles in diabetes related publications may be worth reading. The
Summer 1997 issue of JDF Countdown magazine has an article on "Depression
and Diabetes". The May / June 1998 issue of Diabetes Self Management
magazine has an article titled "Antidepressants - How NOT To Live With

Each of these articles clearly indicate there is no clear consensus on why
depression seems more common in patients with diabetes. Each indicates
there is no clear "cause / effect" relationship between BG levels and the
onset of depression. There are other factors cited, including biological
"pre disposition" (parent has suffered from depression, for example).

At least one of the articles does indicate that for those who are prone to
depression, due to biological or other factors, prior problems with
depression, etc., the onset of diabetes complications may cause bouts of
depression to resurface. In these instances, it would seem that maintaining
good BG levels would help avoid recurrences of prior incidences. *BUT* the
high BGs themselves apparently cannot be shown to be a causative factor in
the first instance.
Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted