[IP] Airports, mteal detectors, ETC>

> Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:49:26 -0500
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Airports, mteal detectors, ETC>

>      I am an Amateur Radio operator-I communicate all over the world on
> various frequencies and at different power levels (from .5 watts to 1000
> watts).  Frequency Ranges from 3.5 Mhz to 450 Mhz.
>      Before investing megabucks for a pump, will I blow the computer
> chips in a pump the first time I key up one of my rigs?  I run a clean
> station (no spurrious RFI that I am aware of) and don't think I Interfere
> with the Stereo or TV or Computer.  Have talked to the local pump Reps
> about 4 or 5 weeks ago, and have no response one way of the other since
> (although one said he was still looking into the request). Any help,ideas,
> experiences from the PEANUT GALLERY?
> 73's
> Dave  N4BGH
> (email @ redacted)

Since most of your power (wattage) should go out through your
antenna, your actual radio should not give off too much RFI.  I have
had no problem with hand held radios and phones with various
wattage, and they are much closer to my pump than you are to
your antenna (hopefully).  If you have no problems with things such
as clocks and calculators near your rig, a pump should not be a
problem.  It is just computer chips.  If one brand of pump or another
uses a certain type of servo motor, it may try to pick up a powerful
repetitive signal (around 400Hz I think).  If it were to go off, a
warning should sound in the pump.  I would check with the
companies just to be sure, and maybe they would loan you one to
set near your rig and try it and see if anything odd happens.  You
might not want to be close to a transmitting antenna though (this is
never a good idea).

good luck,
Michael O'Hara
Galehouse Construction