Re: [IP] airports

I am an electronic engineer. All modern electronic devices are susceptible to ElectroMagnetic phenonena. We are all familiar with antennas and how they make electronic signals stonger. Every thing in the world can be thought of as an antenna of some sort. If there are wires or pieces of metal connected to computer chips in the pump they act like very very small antennas. In my designs if there is a posibility of an electric signal being made too strong and damaging a chip I put protection diodes on the wire. These send the electric signals that are too strong away from the chip.

It would take a very strong ElectroMagnetic wave to cause the mini-antennas that may exist in a pump to produce a damaging voltage. Medical devices must meet very hi standards so it is impossible that input protection diodes are not included where appropriate. It is absolutly false that successive exposures will cause problems.

A reasonable suscpicion is if strong ElectroMagnetic phenonena will cause a bolus or something to be programmed. You see when you press a button you send a measured electronic signal into the chips. The copper that connects the button to the chip act like an anntena and can send a signal that to the chip looks like a button was pressed. This would be a maricle but not scientificaly impossible. But the pump companies answer this concern by guaranteeing that extra insulin can never be pumped if not programmed.

>>> Janine Shea <email @ redacted> 12/06 7:15 PM >>>

I was told that things like xrays, MRIs and airport security scanners
should be avoided because of potential damage to the pump innards.  I think
it was more successive exposures than problems from a single occurrence.
The pumps of today may be hardier, but I don't take any chances with such
an important and expensive piece of hardware while traveling!

email @ redacted                             Vancouver, BC, Canada