[IP] square wave bolus

> Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 17:02:10 EST
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] square wave bolus
>    I was wondering how to figure out the length of time a square wave
>    bolus
> should be set.  I've never used mine for that very reason,  and don't have
> a CDE to contact as I am temporarily out of the US and my current dr. is
> not really up on the pump.
>    Would the square wave be useful for something like the marathon
>    Christmas
> Eve dinner my Italian in-laws always have?   Thanks in advance and Happy
> Holidays to all!
> Karyn

   That square wave thing sounds neat, but it seems no one has
any real details on using it - even Minimed.  This is what I have
found and was wondering if others find similar or different results.

I normally use it with high protein or high fat and carb meals (like
pizza).  It makes no diffence on a very small meal like on piece of
pizza.  I generally use one third of bolus (up to 1/2) on square
wave. So maybe 4 u bolus with 2-3 sq. wave.  For me it seems 2-4
hours works best since Humalog keeps working about 2 hours
after.  Honestly for longer meals I often keep bolusing.  Such as 2u
for appetizers, then 3 for dinner and maybe 2 after the meal.  You
can keep track of what you are eating better and make decisions
later.  Note that you take any additional bolus while the sqare wave
is working.  Sometimes when I am not sure of what should have
taken, and expect to be high and need another bolus, I set a temp
basal rate.  This way I CAN take an extra bolus without cancelling
the square wave.   In general, the amount I take for the square
wave is maybe double what I would normally take FOR THE
SQUARE WAVE PART ONLY.  So if I would estimate the the meal
would be 5 units,  I would take 4 normal and double 1 (equalling
five) or 2 for the square wave which totals 6 not 5.  Anyway, I just
wanted to get others trying the square wave and maybe figure it out
a little better.

hope this helps,
Michael O'Hara
Galehouse Construction