Re: [IP] What should I say?

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Johnson, Dr. Ellen wrote:

> Fellow Pumpers:
> 	I will have an opportunity to give a noon conference to the
> medical staff of my community hospital.  As an insulin pumper and a
> physician, I thought I might be in a unique position to speak from both
> sides of the fence, so to speak.  I would like to know from all of you
> what you would like physicians to know (does that make sense?).  Maybe

I think it would help a lot to dispell the notion that there is something
difficult about using a pump. This is particularly important with respect
to children. The non-medical benefits of the pump are worth as much as
the medical benefits. Specifically, the freedom from schedules, snacks,
rigiorous wake/sleep routines, etc..  for a child, this means the
difference between living as a prisoner would and having a real childhood.

The medical benefits of the pump are much easier to understand. One need
only look at the ABOUT INSULIN PUMPERS page of our web site to see the
immediate and obvious benefit of increased control and lower hbA1c values
that accompanies use of the pump. The results of this increase in control
are known and understood by the most stubborn anti-pump docs.

As you must know, using a pump is much easier than MDI, particularly for
a child.

Pass THIS message along, spread the word about pumping.

Michael Robinton
Executive Director, Insulin Pumpers

(Lily's dad)