[IP] Ruth Give me Assistance not a lecturer. please

Ruth, I think I didn't make myself clear.

Dennis Wrote:
> I have had a few concerns with the MiniMed 507 Pump.
> 1. They should loan out the product I will purchase for $5,000 not a
> unit no longer in production?

Ruth replied:
I'm unclear what this one means so can't be any help here.

I mean... I may purchase a 507c, that's the unit I should be testing.
For example next Thursday Disetronic will come to my home with a new
Disetronic  pump for me to test,
to review all its features, teach us to use it and bring the different
infusion sets.  We will be able to form more thoughtful questions when
we meet with our Endo. This request to MiniMed was met with a no. I
think a company should put its best foot forward....."customer service
is another name for it."

Dennis wrote:

> 2. The belt clip has a problem and in two days the pump fell off about

> 4-5 times and once the pump opened and the reservoir fell out.

Ruth replied:
I've had a pump for 17 years (since I was a teenager) and a small
since they first came out.  My pump has fallen off the clip 3 times:
two of
them I had not clicked the clip in all the way (it was out of the slot),
time it was with a ten year old clip and the clip was simply broken (it
snapped in half).

The loaner unit was not properly inspected the belt clip had a crack in
it. That is why it kept fallen off, I have received a new clip and the
pump hasn't fallen off since. If I was to buy something from you for
$5,000, would you make surer you gave me one if your best units. I think
it is good business.

My pump door does get looser after 5-6 years with each new model but
that is
easy to have fixed and since I almost always wear the case, it is a non
issue.  Even when the door opens, the reservoir cannot fall out because
clicks into place.  Perhaps you didn't snap it in all the way?

If you open your door and shake the pump it will release from the clips
give it a try.
The pump fell off the clip and hit the floor the door opened the
reservoir came out.
I don't understand what you mean the reservoir cannot fall out. This was
Thanksgiving Day with
15 guest in the dining room witness it, I'll check to see if I was the
only one that imaged it.

Ruth replied:
Whether or not the tubing has bubbles and air spaces will depend on your

filling techniques.  The problem has nothing to do with the pump.  You
to practice reducing air bubbles when you fill the syringe.  A few air
bubbles won't hurt anything.  Lots can cause a few problems.  There seem
be 8-10 very successful much of the time techniques that have been
shared on
this list serve.  I think I use a combination of something that is close
five or so of them.  Saline is not insulin so it may "bubble"
than insulin.

The MiniMed rep told me it got air bubbles when the reservoir fell out.

Dennis wrote:
> 4. After I hooked up the new infusion set I called MiniMed support and

> asked why the alarm didn't sound.

Ruth replied:
I'm not sure why an alarm should sound unless the tubing is clogged in
stomach.  If it is a new site and you inserted it correctly, this
happen.  Alarms should sound when the set backs up or gets crimped.
the clamp...

Two days after this I clamped off the tube with pinch pliers the alarm
didn't sound.

> The representative ran some test but couldn't run a test to set alarm
> off  because I didn't have a clamp.

Two days after this I clamped off the tube with pinch pliers the alarm
didn't sound.

Ruth replied:
The clamps come in the reservoir box in a little plastic bag.

MiniMed didn't give clampst with the loaner unit.

> 5.  With the new infusion set on I ran this test:
> I put 7 units in a syringe and injected it onto a tissue and it made a

> wet spot the size of a half dollar.
> I then bolused 7 units with the pump at the quick release point and it

> made a wet spot the size of a pencil tip.
> I told the rep this and he said, he was there to see himself, but it
> should be the same.

Ruth replied:
But wouldn't the size of the spot depend on other variables too?

Ruth that is like saying a pound of Gold weights more then a pound of
potatoes or a gallon of water doesn't
take up the same space as a gallon of pepsi.
7 units is 7 units.
This test was run 8 diffrent times since I posted the message.

I guess you love your MiniMed pump!

Most of these problems sound more like unfamiliarity and tubing and
problems than anything to do with the pump itself.  There are genuine
reasons to prefer Disetronic to minimed and minimed to Disetronic but
of these have much to do with pump features.  The tubing and reservoir
problems are perpetual.  They have gotten better over the years.  They
disappear entirely.  During a good run I can sometimes go as long as 6
months without one.  Pumping is not problem free so if you are putting a

child on a pump you need to understand that which ever pump you choose
will need to problem solve for meals, exercise, tubing changes, site
problems, etc anywhere from 10 times to one time per day forever!!  This
important.  A pump is a fantastic tool but it is only as competent,
capable and effective as you are and things will go wrong everytime you
a mistake.  The pump "breaks" mayber every 5-6 years (sometimes because
done things like drop it in the toilet so that is really my fault too)
you and your child will frequently make mistakes.  Many of them will get

easier and steadily less frequent.  New ones will appear later and get
steadily more frustrating for periods of time.  Pumping is a great thing
it requires patience and thoughfulness.  Sorry for the lecture but
people seem to have been sold an "easy" alternative.  It's not easy.  It

makes some things easier.  It also requires a good bit of work.

I mention the pump loan to me was defected and returned to MiniMed at
their request.
I assume just a slip up in inspecting the unit, it happens.

I really need assistance not a die hard supporter of the MiniMed pump
lecturing me.

I'm surer that MiniMeds and Disetronic Insulin Pumps are excellent I was
just pointing out my first experiences with
the MiniMed Pump.

Best of luck.