Re: [IP] Observation and continuing saga

On  2 Dec 98 at 7:25, Natalie A. Sera wrote:

> As I wrote in my intro, I'm trying out a Minimed 506 preparatory to
> getting my own pump.
> One of the things I have noticed in many books and articles is that they
> almost invariably say that the pump is more work than injections.
> On the contrary, I have found it to be LESS work! I was already testing
> frequently, and I was taking a minimum of 4 shots a day. It was a DRAG

This is something several of us have wondered about too.  There is a difference
in the effort required, and at times you do some work - but it's work like
pattern analysis, carb counting and things you should be doing anyway.  Even
the infusion set change becomes routine - and the effort there is about like
taking a single injection and you only mess with it every three days...

> And it was a drag, if I happened to get sleepy early (I'm an early to
> bed and early to rise type), to have to wake up to take my N at the
> right time to handle my dawn effect, so consequently, I didn't. (This is
> the exact opposite of, but totally equivalent to the sleep-in problem
> that many have mentioned!)
> With the pump, guess what, I can just fall into bed whenever I please
> and NOT think about it!!!!! And I can just take little boluses (as small
> as 0.2 unit) when I graze, and move around at a gathering, and not have
> to go fish my pen out of my purse, or (to quote Mrs. Anonymous) make a
> production out of taking a shot.

That's called the flexibility of pump therapy.  No more setting the alarm clock
at 10:00 p.m. or whenever for the evening shot.  No more setting the alarm
clock for 6:00 a.m. for the morning shot... and remember those clocks had to be
set every day - no days off!

I hope things continue to go well as you move into pump therapy.  Hang in
there, ask questions and remember - don't take any of it too seriously.  It is
serious business that is best handled with a light approach.

Randall P. Winchester
* misunderstood something.