[IP] Kidney problem question

I know this subject has come up before but I didn't pay a lot of attention to
it since it did not directly effect my daughter.  Now I wish i had.

This morning Dad got the results back from his 24 hour protein test and is
showing small amounts of protein (or whatever it is diabetics show).   I
thought I have read somewhere that eating large amounts of protein can
complicate matters with the kidneys.  My dad has always eaten a lot of protein
because that was the old school of thought for Diabetics many years ago when
he was diagnosed.  I mentioned that maybe he should cut down on his protein
but my parents had never heard of this.

Am I totally offbase on this?  Also Renee wasnt your daughter taking a
medication for this?

Thanks and would appreciate any response back on this.