[IP] Musings on the weekend after Christmas...

What a year this has been!  I think back on just one year ago - and I
remember getting up around 2:00 on Christmas morning to take my
nighttime bg and possibly take a shot.  My wife had asked me what I
wanted for Christmas a few weeks earlier and I had said that all I
really wanted was to feel better and have a little time off from the
constant pressure and constant feeling of failure with trying to
manage my bg levels.

This year I slept until 7:30 and got up with a decent bg reading...
and felt great.   The boys got up a little after I did, and William
was standing in the living room, looking at the tree and packages...
I walked in and asked him what he thought.  He turned and with a big
grin signed "pretty presents".   He will be three in January and has
Downs Syndrome - he doesn't talk yet but instead signs using American
Sign Language.  His fraternal twin brother walked in a few minutes
later and told me to hurry up with my shower and get dressed because
Mommy told him that we couldn't open presents until Daddy was ready.

Breakfast was delayed for about two hours, when we went to my
brother's house for breakfast with most of the rest of the family.  I
got to spend time playing with my boys, not worrying about my bg
because breakfast was on a strange schedule, and in fact from the
time I checked my bg when I got up until just before we ate I didn't
even think about it...  that's what the pump has done for me this
year.

This year I got to participate in the Christmas musical at church and
even got to eat dinner after the evening service with everyone else
at the potluck dinner, without having to eat before the musical and
then just sit and watch everyone else eat later in the evening.

What a year!  I started off having to quit something I loved doing,
when I resigned my position as pastor of a small Baptist church
because my health was failing - I just couldn't handle the
complications of bivocational ministry and managing my bg levels and
the schedule  any more.  My bg values were all over the map, I was
depressed, tired, and didn't feel like playing with the boys much.

On September 26, 1997 (my Assimilation Day) I started on my pump.
Since then I've lost about 8 pounds, am actually taking more insulin
than I was before and am not having the lows, highs and am eating
what I want when I want to instead of living chained to the schedule.

What have I gained?  The same thing that I read in many of your posts
on the list - a measure of control that I had not had before I
started on the pump and a good helping of hope.  Hope that comes from
feeling like I'm more in control, and hope that comes from finally
having a set of tools that makes it possible for me to live a more
normal lifestyle.   I still have to maintain the discipline, watch
what I eat, manage my bg values and all that stuff that most of us
are too intimately tied up with.  But now it's not nearly as
opressive as it used to be...  I can actively work to maintain a good
bg level even when an emergency comes up and my schedule changes at
the last minute.

This is the time of the year when many of us celebrate Christmas,
some celebrate Hanukkah, while others just sit back and observe the
rush.  For Christians and Jews this is the time of the year when we
celebrate miracles - the birth of Christ for Christians and the
Jewish holiday of the Festival of Lights celebrating the miracle of
one day's supply of oil lasting many days until more became available
when the Temple had been purified after being recaptured.   In both
of these holidays the power of God acting is being celebrated...

I suggest that some of us have experienced a miracle this past year -
the rebirth of hope in our lives as we have been given the tools to
better control our diabetes.   I've seen this in my life as I have
been able to spend more time with my boys and enjoy the holiday
season like I haven't in fifteen years.   I've read others express
similar wonders as they have gotten going on the pump.

Maybe each of us should just give a short prayer of thanks, however
belief and custom dictates or allows.  Give thanks for pump therapy,
ask for a cure to be developed, and pray for all the people who are
fighting diabetes - that they would all have access to decent medical
care and appropriate tools to combat this condition.

My prayer is that each of us would find our health actually improving
during the coming year and that we would be able to encourage each
other as we fight this affliction that we share.  I also thank God
that I was directed to this list, where I've found so many wonderful,
encouraging, upbeat and offbeat people.

May each of you have a wonderful year in 1998!

Randall Winchester

* misunderstood something.