Re: [IP] Pumps for a child . . .

On 26 Dec 97 at 2:25, Laci 1 wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We jrecently approached our daughters endocrinologist about an insulin pump
> for our daughter (8 years old).  He agreed to help us pursue it this endeavor
> in 6 months fas he would like for us to have more experience dealing with the
> day to day trials of diabetes.
>
> My question to all of you is this - he says there is usually a two-fold reason
> for getting a pump - 1. better glycemic control and 2. more flexibility in
> lifestyle.   He says currently she has wonderful glycemic control (due to
> great efforts on our part and probably mostly due to a great honeymoon!).   In
> his opinion, at this time, her only benefit from a pump will be lifestyle
> flexibility.  He indicated the pump is a lot of work and he questions whether
> we will really benefit from it.

It's a lot of work, but in my opinion it's worth it.

> Now from you pump users -  do you think a pump is more work than shots and
> limiting your diet and lifestyle?  Please be honest with me as we want to do
> what is right for our child.  I completely understand that it will not be a
> piece of cake, especially at first but I am hoping it will uncomplicate our
> life somewhat (especially through those difficult teenage years).  Our child
> will has a wonderful support group, both at home and at school.  She is a
> thin, quiet child who already checks her blood sugars frequently but hates
> shots and "having to eat" on schedule.

The added work is offset by the reduction in daily work.  You still
have to maintain the discipline, follow the diet guidelines and all,
but the schedule freedom is worth it.  Last week my wife told me that
she is glad I'm not pulling needles out in public any more to take
shots like I used to have to do at restaurants etc.   You don't have
to carry a sharps box with you to properly dispose of those syringes
after each injection (a definite plus), you don't have to interrupt
everything to spend anywhere from a minute to a half hour to take an
injection, and you get to relax a little from the "is it time for the
next shot" routine.  On the downside you do have to be more careful
about checking your bg levels.

I hate shots too - and switching from a shot every four hours most of
the time to a shot every three days has been great.  Keep collecting
information so you can make a responsible, informed descision.  My
bet is that a pump would be a great benefit to yor daughter.

> Please give me some feedback on the pros and cons of insulin pumping with a
> child.
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Sherri (Laura's mom)

Randall Winchester