Re: [IP] The pump IS for everyone

Ruth et al.,

I didn't mean to imply when I started this thread that we should all be
lumped into immutable categories forever. My thought was that the pump is
a very, very expensive means of controlling diabetes, and that any
sensible medical service provider can and should demand that cheaper means
of achieving good control be attempted before turning to the pump. A
person who wants to use a pump should be educated to realize that the pump
is not a panacea, that there is still plenty of work involved (perhaps
even more than with multiple injections). If somehow the ADA began to
clamor that everyone be put on a pump, the HMOs and medical insurance
companies would have even more reason for turning people down than they do
now; they could justifiably say there isn't enough money to do it.

Buzz
email @ redacted