Re: [IP] The pump IS for everyone

Buddy and all

I must jump in and say whole heartedly that not everyone should use a
pump.  I agree that it is wonderful for those that are willing to put
forth the effort and have the intelligence to deal with the more complex
issues involved.  REMEMBER, not all are as intelligent as we are that
have DM.  I say that sincerely, with out sarcasm and not in a
condescending manner.

I have a family member (by marriage, not blood) that has been diabetic
for 20+ years (she is now early 40's and was dx'd in her late teens).
She goes to the endo every 3 months AND HE SCREAMS AND THROWS A FIT at
her, she smokes like a chimney on top of drinking (not often but
enough).  On top of that she even pays a for a policy as she isn't
employeed so she doesn't have the group discount.  Now get this, she
takes 2, TWO shots of, are you ready, 70/30 a day AND she tests her
sugars (not 8 times a day but 3 or so).  I just can't imagine that the
pump would help her as she isn't willing to do what is necessary.  At
anything under 200 she is "hypo" and is drinking OJ.  I know, if she
only knew that would subside, but she has treated her iddm in this
manner for 20 years and has no intentions of chaning.  She is reasonable
intelligent, just does't want to make the effort to deal with this
disease.

Anyway, just my .02 worth on why everyone isn't a good candidate for the
pump.

Susan
iddm dx'd 18 moa, pumping 1 year w/ humalog