Re: [IP] Effectiveness of Humalog

Forrest,

This was a fairly long thread on the World list. All I can tell you is
that it is my experience and that of several other pumpers that Humalog
doesn't last as long in a pump. The conclusion most of us came to was that
it has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the Humalog per se, because
one person experimented by taking Humalog from his pump syringe and
injecting it with a syringe and found that it worked just fine. It has
something to do with the infusion set. There was at least one person who
claimed that Humalog worked just fine in her pump for several days, so the
experience of H not working after two days was not universal.

One person hypothesized that H crystallizes in the infusion set after a
couple of days. I don't know if this is the case; I'm no chemist. All I
know is that pure H unmixed with R in my pump starts going off after two
days, and I find my BG starting to rise. And I'm not the only one who has
observed this.

Buzz
email @ redacted