Re: [IP] Can anyone tell me whats going on

On 12 Dec 97 at 5:54, Wasson wrote:

> 12/12/97
>  Its been more than 3 weeks since I started the pump and I've got a few
> questions about some things that have been bothering me, I hope someone out
> there can help me or at least tell me if this is normal.
> Sometimes I will have episodes of high bg values, like I'm not getting my
> full dose. I had one starting after lunch yesterday, bg stayed in the 200's
> all afternoon and into this morning. I bolused and it just wouldn't go down,
> how is this possible if I'm following the sliding scale, then it should
> bring it down, right???
> I count my carbs carefully, I know that is not the reason, I'm not sick, why
> , why, why am I high?
>
> Do you people bolus when you are high, especially at bedtime?

I generally bolus if it is high and it has been a while since the
last bolus.  Sometimes I use a temporary basal rate too.  I assume
you are still working on getting the basal rate set - I've been on
over 2 months now and we're still fine tuning my basal rates.  Be
patient, ask questions, check the infusion set.  I've never had a
problem with an infusion set not working, but I have had the "weird
body" effect - where your bg goes up, you bolus, test, bolus, test,
and pretty soon you've taken a huge amount of insulin with no
discernable effect - then wham the bottom drops out and you cannot
keep your bg level above 40 for a few hours.   That used to happen on
MDI too.

> Hope you can help me.  Today I'm going to call my doctor and the MM company
> about this last episode I had, I just want to be confident that I'm doing
> what I'm supposed to be doing and that my pump is doing what its supposed to
> be doing. Right now I'm frustrated.

It takes a while to get all these things stabilized, and it seems
that each one of us on the pump is different.  Be patient, keep on
trying and remember that there are over 100 people on this list who
are cheering for you!

> Carol
> Carol Wasson
> email @ redacted