Re: [IP] Glass Syringes

At 12:12 PM 12/9/97 EST, Billie wrote regarding MiniMed reservoirs:

>I'm having alot of problems with the plastic syringes, such insulin
flowing in
>between the "O" rings when filling the syringe and the plunger becoming
stuck,
>not allowing the pump to deliver insulin resulting in a "no delivery alarm."
>Would really like to try a glass syringe, however Mini-Med doesn't offer
these
>and couldn't tell me where there is a source.  Does anyone have any
>suggestions as to how I can pursue this?
>
>Thanks, Billie

Billie:

MiniMed pumps only use plastic reservoirs - there is no glass option
available, like there is for the Disetronic. I had many problems with the
MiniMed reservoirs. I know of others who experienced the same difficulties.
I am shocked that this may still be an issue.

MiniMed was always very willing to cross ship replacement reservoirs to me
and they responded with concern to my frequent calls.

I can offer a couple "been there, done that" type of tips. These were
suggested to me by MiniMed support personnel, and were not documented in
the manuals which I had for the 506. I am not certain if this information
is in the manuals for the 507:

1)  Before filling the new reservoir, draw the plunger back and forth
twice. This distributes the lubricant in the barrel of the reservoir. I had
initially been instructed by MiniMed to "do this several times", then told
by another support person during a subsequent call "definitely do not do
this more than twice". I frequently had reservoirs where the plungers would
not move easily, even after moving the plunger back and forth.

2)  When drawing the plunger back to fill the reservoir, be careful to pull
back straight and not at an angle. If the plunger is angled even slightly,
the seal provided by the O-Rings in the end of the plunger may be
compromised, and you are more likely to develop a leak at the O-Rings.

3)  Try to ensure the reservoirs are stored away from heat, preferably in
that "cool dry place" which all instruction manuals and consumer warranties
refer to ;-) The pump supplies seem to be happier in that location.

Carefully document the difficulties you are having. This should include Lot
numbers from the packaging, date and time of phone calls, as well as your
BG results. This information may prove very handy at a later time. Please
let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted