Re: [IP] Profile update for Barbra Bradley <email @ redacted>

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Buddy on this one.  I don't think
Buddy
is dwelling in self-pity but more in reality.  He did not relay those
comments
to obtain sympathy but more for purposes of illustration in making a
point
which I believe is this:

The nurse's sentiments are kindly taken and appear to be a very
"politically
correct" symbol of the situation, but I think that wearing the
apparatus, such
as the pump, will acheive nothing more than an academic understanding
and in
fact may prove to be conterproductive to her endeavor to acheive more
empathy
for her patients.  After her experience is through, she might think the
whole
experience is "easier" than she thought.. but is it?  Buddy is trying to
say
that she's only going to get a small taste of the whole pie and might
even
have slight contempt for those patients who complain of difficulty.
She's
worn it and it was no big deal so why should there be difficulty.  I
think
in a doctor/patient relationship there should remain some level of
detachment
to achieve truer objectivity.
To get away from diabetes I'll choose a neutral subject, say blindness.
I want to gain empathy for blind people so I wear a blindfold for 24
hours.
Before the experience I could plainly tell you that I could never
imagine
being blind, and have the utmost empathy for those afflicted.
After the 24 hours, I may discover.. yeah, that really sucked, but I
dealt with
it, lived through it, and if I discover a blind person complaining about
their
plight I would tell them, yeah I was blind for awhile and I did it so
quit your
complaining about it.. but what I wouldn't realize is that there ain't
no cure
for it and I'd have to live with it for the rest of my life, and that
would haved
changed my outlook on it but you can't "feel" it because it's not
reality..

I'm not really saying it's a bad idea, I'm just trying to get buddy's
point
across in a different way.  And people don't like to rock the boat on an
issue like that.. It's kind of like political correctness when sometimes
it's not allowed to say how you really feel.  Sometimes, things "sound"
sweet in theory, but
may or may not achieve the desired results... I like to call it "fluff".

And Rachel, your comment sort of proves this point..So what, we have
diabetes right?, not a damn thing you can do about it, So why do we need
some Nurse to feel sorry for us? If she makes sure her patients achieve
maximum control she will have been a success.  If she remains objective
she will have no problems..

That's just what I think of it anyway..
Forrest Green