RE: [IP] Diasensor: a scam?

There's a big difference between Integ's LifeGuide product and what the
people at Biocontrol Technologies (BICO) were trying to do. LifeGuide is
no different from a current tester, in the sense that it tests the
interstitial fluid, and as Buddy pointed out, and they made sure that
you have to replace something every time you test. It's the light
bulb/pantyhose argument: "if they'll keep buying the broke one, why fix
it?" The GlucoWatch, being developed by Cygnus Systems (CYGN), falls
into this category, as well. It'll have a pad of some sort that attaches
to your skin, which then goes to the "watch," and takes regular
readings. But you can bet your paycheck that you'll have to replace
those pads -- I don't remember the details (though I have them at home),
but I think it's a pad you replace once or twice a week, but it costs a
lot.

BICO, on the other hand, was/is trying to create a meter that doesn't
require any replaceable parts. That's the true "dream beam," and the
type we should all be looking for and hoping for. You just stick your
finger in there as often as you like, and it gives you a result, with no
disposable items that make you pay per test.

I read about the BICO project a year or so ago, and bought some of their
stock, when it was around $2 to $3 a share. Twenty minutes ago it was at
about 22 cents a share. You can catch a view of its meteoric fall at
http://www.tscn.com/wsc/Corporate_Snapshot.html?Symbol=bico. I bought
some more when it fell lower, because I was willing to risk a bit of
money on something I want to support. I had not heard about the lawsuit,
etc.; I guess I haven't read the recent Diabetes Interview closely yet.
(Cygnus, on the other hand, seems to be headed upward. Investors know
the long-term money is in the strips, not the meter!) BICO certainly is
keeping up a facade of optimism in the face of otherwise dreary news for
them!

When I invested, I knew I could lose my money, and I certainly haven't
invested much -- I think the commission on buying it was about as much
as the purchase price! I heard a possibly apocryphal story several years
ago about a guy who had spent a fortune developing a true dream beam
machine, and then was going to sell his work to a company like
Boehringer-Mannheim, but part of the deal was that they could give it up
if they felt it wasn't going anywhere. Knowing full well that they would
bury his idea in the circular file, he said no. At the time, we were
promised a commercial dream beam in a year or two. That was at least
five years ago.

Anyway, I think Buddy's point is a good one. I'll keep poking my fingers
if the prices of the new test strips aren't competitive with the old,
and just keep hoping for a true dream beam. I hope this information on
the differences between the systems has been helpful.

Peter McCracken                          email @ redacted
Reference Librarian                             email @ redacted
Joyner Library                                          (919) 328-6201
East Carolina University                        fax (919) 328-4834
Greenville, North Carolina 27858
* Maritime History on the Internet:http://ils.unc.edu/maritime/home.html
*