Re: [IP] Dental surgery on the pump

Hi Jodi,

I'm a dental hygienist with a son who is an oral surgeon. I have also had
diabetes for over 43 yrs.

I have also had my wisdom teeth removed, and had absolutely no problem with
my diabetes. Now this was done about 35 yrs ago, and I had no pump, of
course. I had general anesthesia for the extraction...and I would highly
recommend that to you also. (you don't want local anesthesia for this...and
definately go to an oral surgeon.) Don't EVER let a general dentist extract
wisdom teeth. Absolutely never allow this. Never!!!!!!!!

If yu are on the pump, it should be quite easy for you in regards to the
eating situation. You bolus when you eat, otherwise you are just on the basal
rate. You will be able to get some carbs with a liquid diet if necessary.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, CHECK YOUR BG'S QUITE OFTEN AFTER THE SURGERY.

I assume that you will be having all 4 teeth removed at one time (this is the
only way to do it, as far as I'm concerned,,,this is also recomended by our
office.)

Good luck, you should  have no problems with your diabetes.

Sissy