Re: [IP] Proof that pumps are better than multiple injections

On  4 Dec 97 at 22:44, Alon Levi wrote:

> > It's a wonder to me that MM and/or Disetronic hasn't funded any studies
> > that investigate whether pumps indeed do result in better DM control or
> > fewer hypos than multiple injection therapy. Until they or another source
> > of money does, we have to rely on the "anecdotal" evidence (which
> > scientists don't consider evidence at all) that people like us provide.
>
> I don't think Pumping will give ones better HA1c results then MI.
> Even for some, it might make HA1c worse.
>
> I'll explain myself - While using MI, people tend to eat regulary at
> normal hours (they have to, actully). While being on a pump, eating
> regulary is not always the case. Since starting to pump, I've found
> myself eating in times is was "not supposed to" with MI, and not
> eating at all, when not wanting to.

I used to have to eat every three hours on MI - because the NPH and
Ultralente would kick in unpredictably.  I was just gaining weight
because I had to treat my insulin with food!

Of course, you could take the approach that my first instructor
described when I was diagnosed back in 1982.  She said "We are going
to teach you how to live with your diabetes - what time to you get
up?"

I said "I get up at 6:00 a.m. and have to leave for work by 6:45
a.m."

Her response was "Good.  Now when you get up at 7:00, take your
shot.."

I said "Wait - I get up at 6:00 and am on the road at 7:00"

She said "I know. But for your diabetes when you get up at 7:00 each
day..."

When I insisted that her schedule didn't work, she said there wasn't
much she could do for me because I just didn't fit the schedule.

According to her (and others I've talked to) the best way to treat
your diabetes was to have an invariant schedule, eat the same thing
every day at the same time, and don't change ANYTHING.

The trouble is, I know some people who have lived like this who still
have high A1C values, and they don't have much of a life either.

When I was diagnosed I told my doctor I was going to be doing home BG
monitoring (this was in the days of the colored strips, timed with a
stopwatch, blotted and compared to the chart on the side of the
vial) and I didn't really care what he thought.  I soon switched to
another doctor who thought that I was doing the right thing by trying
to keep my bg close to normal.

Any kind of treatment plan requires discipline - but the pump allows
us to live instead of just watching the clock tick.  Too many in the
medical community seem to think that there is only one way to treat
anything - by making you miserable, punishing you and discouraging
any kind of hope.

I think that the pump will provide a better control for nearly
everyone.  Of course there is always the one who decides to take the
instructions "you can eat more things now" literally and start each
day with a pecan pie covered in ice cream and fudge sauce, but at
least with the pump they have a better chance of keeping a reasonable
bg level without developing "addicts arms" - you know - marked by the
bruises, scars, lumps and other relics of the multiple injection
protocols.  I used to have both arms, legs and both sides of my
stomach looking like someone had beat me with a hammer.  I was happy
to see the bruises fade when I went on the pump - I've only had one
site that looked bad for a couple of days.  Even if the pump didn't
mean better bg values it means less physical abuse!

> This makes mylife a whole lot better. But it does makes tight control
> harder. While being on MI, I eat at the same time, and usaully the
> same food (although I didn't had to, but I just did). This made
> result much easier to predict.
> Make your dreams come true - don't wake up.
>     i'm growing wings, Alon Levi.

Randall Winchester

* misunderstood something.