Re: [IP] Dental surgery on the pump

Sara et al.,

I read Dr. Richard Bernstein's new book _Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes
Solution_ several months ago. Whether you agree with his recommendations
(actually they're more like commands :-{)) on diet or not, he does make
several very cogent observations we all could profit from. One of them is
that if you are going to be hospitalized it is very important to work out
an agreement with your doctor(s) beforehand that you will be the one
responsible for keeping your DM under control and that no one may fiddle
with your program. This agreement should be executed in writing, and all
nurses and other health professionals who will deal with you should have
copies of it.

I wish I had had enough presence of mind to have done this the last time I
was hospitalized. The attending physician wrote "no insulin if BG < 300
mg/dL" (!) on my chart, and the nurses stuck to it. They also wouldn't let
me check my own BG or give my own shots. :-{( It will be different the
next time!

Buzz
email @ redacted