[IP] Proof that pumps are better than multiple injections

Michael,

I'll take your word for it about the DCCT stating that it was easier to
maintain tight control with a pump than with injections; I didn't know
there was any statement in the DCCT about pumps being better than multiple
injection therapy. Nonetheless there are no *statistics* in any peer-rev-
iewed journal showing pumps to be any better than multiple injections to
improve A1Cs or decrease hypo incidents. That's what some HMOs are demand-
ing if they are going to cover pumps and the paraphernalia associated with
them. They are a great deal more expensive than multiple injection
therapy. If I were a bean counter in some HMO office, I would expect such
numbers before I would approve paying the considerable expenses that go
along with pumps and the stuff that pumps require.

It's a wonder to me that MM and/or Disetronic hasn't funded any studies
that investigate whether pumps indeed do result in better DM control or
fewer hypos than multiple injection therapy. Until they or another source
of money does, we have to rely on the "anecdotal" evidence (which
scientists don't consider evidence at all) that people like us provide.

Buzz
email @ redacted