Re: [IP] Pumping and doctors

> Jay,
>
> I think the reason doctors may be shying away from pumps (if indeed they
> are; this factoid is news to me) is that there is no statistical evidence
> in the medical literature that pumps are any better than multiple
> injections at controlling diabetes.
Not So!

The DCCT, while stating the the results were the same, also clearly
stated that it was MUCH easier to maintain the control with a pump
rather than MI.  The relates directly to better overall control. A
large number of participants in the study used the pump
because they were unable to consistently get the control they wanted
with MI alone.  Now whether you consider this not to be statistically
significant is another matter.  It appears to me that if the pump
were NOT available, the results for those who chose to switch because
they were having a hard time would have been worse.  Unfortunatly
(only from a data collection standpoint) there was no group of
individuals in the study who were forced to continue MI to see if
their results were better/worse than those who switched.

email @ redacted