Re: [IP] Pumping and doctors

On  2 Dec 97 at 22:34, Jay Watson wrote:

> I had a doctor visit today and all was well.  While talking, he
> indicated that doctor's are shying away from pumps.  The reason for this
> was the difficulty in getting trained back-ups for when the doctor trys
> to be like a human.  It sounded quite strange to me, but I interpret it
> that, in this area at least, the number of doctors prescribing pumps is
> below critical mass.  Has anyone else heard of this tendency with
> doctors?
> Jay

My doctor and CDE both said that I needed to be the primary
"controller" for the pump.  I've spent time talking to my doctor
about techniques, goals and strategies - and then he will ask what I
am going to do to change my rates, ratios or whatever.  They said
that this is because I am in posession of the pump continously and am
responsible for operating it and adapting it to my needs of the
moment.  I call them about every week to keep them posted of what I
am doing and discuss how things are working, and they are available
most of the time when I have a question.  They act more like
consultants who help me find solutions instead of giving me
instructions on what to do.

Randall Winchester

* misunderstood something.