Re: [IP] tissue damage from pump use

Cindy,

    I've had a minimed for 16 years now and have, at times, had a good bit of
tissue damage.   I'm not very big and run out of sites quickly.  The old metal
needles contantly rubbed and irritated my stomach. On top of that, if I wore
tighter clothes they seemed to get continually infected.  That was somewhere
around 10-13 years ago.  The sof-set seems to minimize the tissue damage --
ocassionally sites seem like they were starting to get infected and then they are
hard for a few days and have damage for up to several months.  Those seem to
consistly disappear though.  The old scars on my stomach are mostly gone but a
bit there -- but they took much more abuse, the technology was quite new then.  I
only took pork insulin injections and by the time I had switched to the pump, my
thighs and tummy looked pretty bad anyway.  This is far less damage -- if the
pork shots caused 200% worth of damage, I'd say the old pump needles did about a
20% and the sof sets do about 1/2-1%.  I did most of this has a teenager and
college student and was perpetually mortified.  Now, I probably still wouldn't be
seen in a bikini but most of the flaws are me, not needle induced.

Ruth