Re: [IP] tissue damage from pump use

Cindy,

> Thank you to all who gave their opinions about the different pumps.  I had
> asked a question last week and so far nobody has given me any insight to it.
>  I was wondering about tissue damage from long term pump use.  I know about
> the rotation of sites and I know of all the site possiblities.  Even with
> this, does a pumper run a higher risk of tissue damage than a diabetic on
> injections.  This is a question that I am going to ask my endo at my next
> appointment.  When I started on pump therapy in May of 1997 I had a endo that
> was "the pitts."  I "fired" his butt shortly after starting the pump and I
> now have a wonderful endo.  That doctor I first had didn't lay everything out
> on the table giving me the pros and cons of pumping compared to injections.
>  If anyone has heard about tissue damage or has had problems with it, please
> let me know.  Also, if you have damage is it reversible?

My endo has many long-term pumpers, and she also has gleaned
information from Dr. Bode, who has many pumpers. (I think one
of his patients is on this list.) I think she has worked with
him in some capacity, but I'm not sure about that. Anyway, she
says the problem with pumpers is just like the problem with
injections, and that site rotation is the issue. Of course,
when you're a pumper, you don't rotate sites as often because
you typically use only the abdomen. According to her (Diana
McNeill at Duke), the only reason pumpers are at higher risk
is because of less site rotation. She also says that the damage
is reversible, just like with shots, by not using the sites for
a while. This requires some creativity, but it can be done.

I would not let this issue deter you from getting a pump.

Good luck!

Joan
email @ redacted