Re: [IP] MiniMed vs. Disetronic

Cindy,

Only you can tell which of the two choices would be best, as the both offer
significant differences. Both manufactures are quality products/tools and
optimum BG control can be achieved with either. The best way to decide is to
review the information from both companies and to speak with pump wearers
prior to making your decision. It alarms me, but it doesn't surprise me, that
your physician did not offer you both choices. I also had a similar
experience prior to my pump start last year. It seems that Minimed has an
aggressive approach to marketing and Disetronic has a two step
approach(speed) to marketing-slow and slower(Disetronics has the largest pump
market in the world). The unfortunate thing is that some people would be
better suited for one pump than the other and they must live with the
decision they make.

It is important to educate yourself and tell your health team what you want
and don't let them tell you what you will get. Remember, you will be wearing
the pump 24 hrs a day, everyday. Don't let the Physicians comfort level
dictate which pump you will receive. I made a pro/con list for each pump and
compared it to my lifestyle and preferences and then told my Physician which
one I wanted. As a result, I am very happy with my decision.

Regardless of what pump your wearing, you must know that your choice in pump
therapy is an intelligent, brave, heroic(remember, I'm on the pump too!) step
that shows how important your health is to you. If you can optimise its use
in your care you'll see increadable results in managing your BG and lowering
your A1C. You will illiminate severe low BG from peaking NPH and you will
feel more energetic.