Re: [IP] 5-day sets

Randall wrote:

> 5 day sets?  I only know of one person around here who tried going
> beyond 3 days per infusion set and she ended up in the hospital with
> a bad skin infection.  The doctors and both pump manufacturers talk
> about using the needle sets for only two days and the  "soft sets"
> for only three days.  Are you just leaving it in?  I'd think that the
> long contact with insulin in one spot would increase the scarring and
> "lump" formation in the fatty tissues.

I use my sets for 10 days to two weeks. I change it at the first sign
of redness at the site. I occasionally have a set that needs to be
changed sooner, but those are very infrequent (maybe 2-3 a year). I've
been pumping for five and a half years. I started with bent-needle sets,
but I've been using Disetronic Tenders since they became available in
the U.S. I used the bent-needle sets 10 days to two weeks, also. I've
had two site infections, both in the first couple of months that I had
my pump. One was due to a dirty hot tub, and the other was probably due
to leaving the set in too long - this was when I was experimenting
with how long I can use one set.

I have not had any scarring or lumps or absorption problems. I have
consistently used about 25 units per day since starting the pump. I
recently started seeing a new endo. She checked the sites on my
abdomen, both visually and by touch. She was amazed at how good they
looked, and she said that it's obvious I change my infusion sets
every few days. She was even further amazed when I told her how long
I use one set. She said that she wouldn't even try to argue with
success, but please not to tell her other patients. :-)

As someone else mentioned in this thread, I do not do anything special
with the site  - no site prep or anything like that.

Another case of "your mileage may vary." :-)

Joan
email @ redacted