[IP] Re:(IP) Medicare-Dexcom-Smartphones

I few months I sat in on a conference call that CMS had about the new coverage
for the Dexcom. When they said that the smartphone app couldn't be used even
as a secondary monitor, a bunch of people including a very articulate guy from
JDRF challenged that premise and tried to explain why that made no sense. The
CMS guy just kept repeating the same thing about smart phones not being DME
and only DME and supplies related to it were allowed to be covered by
Medicare. He kept reading some language from the statute about DME and saying
that using anything at all in conjunction with DME devices that wasn't a DME
item itself or part of the original bundle would invalidate the entire device
being considered DME. Everyone kept saying that no one would expect Medicare
to pay for the smartphone. The guy was clearly stuck in his bureaucratic role
and couldn't get past that. I'm sure that Dexcom, JDRF and others are lobbying
like crazy to make CMS understand, so hopefully one day the smartphone app
will be allowed. Pam

<Maybe someone can explain this to me.I don't get the smartphone
restriction.Dothey think that PWD's with CGM's are gonna expect Medicare to
pay for their
smartphones?I mean, the connection doesn't cost anything. It goes against
common
sense.I understand that a person can't expect Medicare to pay for a smart
phone,
but not to allow use of an app?>