Re: [IP] Re: (IP) Guidelines for changing infusion sets and reservoirs - 3 days?

I have lots of tubing left over as well - am toying with macramC) prohjects!

----- Original Message -----

From: "Pam" <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2015 4:25:21 PM
Subject: [IP] Re: (IP) Guidelines for changing infusion sets and reservoirs -
B 3 days?

B I've been on Minimed pumps for 22 years. I change my infusion sets every 2
1/2
to 3 days because of poor absorption, overuse, scar tissue otherwise. However
only change my reservoir when it's empty - 5 or 6 days - and I go through two
or
three reservoir changes with the same tubing, meaning two or three weeks with
the tubing. I throw away a lot of tubing that I don't use when I change sets.
I've never had any problems that I know of by doing this.
Pam

Sent from my iPad

B > On Aug 28, 2015, at 4:05 PM, insulin-pumpers-digest
<email @ redacted> wrote:

> When I began pumping many years ago, I remember the diabetes educator
> telling me the number "3 days" for a change of the canula.
>
> This was to prevent a possibility of infection and/or reduction of the
> absorption of the insulin.
> But I was also told that the reservoir and tubing were safe to use for up to
> 6 days.
>
> This was ideal for me since I use about 40-50 units per day. B The 3 ml
> reservoir(300 units) is an ideal match.
> After the third day, change the canula (infusion site) and after 6 days
> change everything. And I throw away very little insulin.
>
> But recently Medtronic has stopped packaging the box of tubing with 5
> canulas and 5 tubings/canulas.
>
> I have just talked to Medtronic tech support and I B was told that Medtronic
> recommends changing the canula and the tubing and the reservoir after 3
> days. B The reason given was the lubrication in the reservoir may not work
> properly after 3 days and cause incorrect insulin delivery. She did not say
> why the tubing was "unsafe" after 3 days.
>
> Well I have been on the Paradigm pump for more than 10 years. B I have
> consistently used my tubing and reservoir for 6 to 7 days and never had a
> problem or even a suspected problem with the reservoir or tubing. B I have
> had a few times when I pushed the canula to a 4th day, and that can lead to
> problems.
>
> So I am now tossing into the bin 5 perfectly good tubings per month because
> of this change.
>
> Is this really based on medical data or experience? B Or is this so
Medtronic
> can sell more infusion sets and reservoirs?
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions will be very much appreciated.
(select your charity = Insulin Pumpers)