From: "Liliana Wells" <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2015 4:46:38 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Guidelines for changing infusion sets and reservoirs: B 3
days?

Phyllis is right....Medtronics or other manufacturers have to comply with
FDA guidelines. B That being said, many of us go past the 3 days recomended
for changing everything. B I tried to go 5 days on the infusion site, only
to discover that my skin was getting irritated and tender. B Now 4 days work
well for me. B I may use the tubing and reservoir for a whole box or change
them when them when the mood strikes me. B I also use the extra tubing to
stake my tomatoes and other vegetables. B It works great because it is
practically invisible. B I also think the manufacturers try to make a buck
whenever they can. B I say, do what works for you.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 5:55 AM, Bob2 Weitzman <
email @ redacted> wrote:

> When I began pumping many years ago, I remember the diabetes educator
> telling me the number "3 days" for a change of the canula.
>
> This was to prevent a possibility of infection and/or reduction of the
> absorption of the insulin.
> But I was also told that the reservoir and tubing were safe to use for up
> 6 days.
>
> This was ideal for me since I use about 40-50 units per day. B The 3 ml
> reservoir(300 units) is an ideal match.
> After the third day, change the canula (infusion site) and after 6 days
> change everything. And I throw away very little insulin.
>
> But recently Medtronic has stopped packaging the box of tubing with 5
> canulas and 5 tubings/canulas.
>
> I have just talked to Medtronic tech support and I B was told that Medtronic
> recommends changing the canula and the tubing and the reservoir after 3
> days. B The reason given was the lubrication in the reservoir may not work
> properly after 3 days and cause incorrect insulin delivery. She did not say
> why the tubing was "unsafe" after 3 days.
>
> Well I have been on the Paradigm pump for more than 10 years. B I have
> consistently used my tubing and reservoir for 6 to 7 days and never had a
> problem or even a suspected problem with the reservoir or tubing. B I have
> had a few times when I pushed the canula to a 4th day, and that can lead to
> problems.
>
> So I am now tossing into the bin 5 perfectly good tubings per month because
> of this change.
>
> Is this really based on medical data or experience? B Or is this so
> Medtronic
> can sell more infusion sets and reservoirs?
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions will be very much appreciated.
>
> Bob
> .
(select your charity = Insulin Pumpers)