Re: [IP] Guidelines for changing infusion sets and reservoirs: 3 days?

Hi Bob
I think the real questions is if it works for you in the past after more
than 10 yrs , why is it giving problems now?

Are they cutting corners in the quality of material use?

Patrick

On 28 Aug 2015 17:57, "Bob2 Weitzman" <
email @ redacted> wrote:

> When I began pumping many years ago, I remember the diabetes educator
> telling me the number "3 days" for a change of the canula.
>
> This was to prevent a possibility of infection and/or reduction of the
> absorption of the insulin.
> But I was also told that the reservoir and tubing were safe to use for up
> 6 days.
>
> This was ideal for me since I use about 40-50 units per day.  The 3 ml
> reservoir(300 units) is an ideal match.
> After the third day, change the canula (infusion site) and after 6 days
> change everything. And I throw away very little insulin.
>
> But recently Medtronic has stopped packaging the box of tubing with 5
> canulas and 5 tubings/canulas.
>
> I have just talked to Medtronic tech support and I  was told that
Medtronic
> recommends changing the canula and the tubing and the reservoir after 3
> days.  The reason given was the lubrication in the reservoir may not work
> properly after 3 days and cause incorrect insulin delivery. She did not
say
> why the tubing was "unsafe" after 3 days.
>
> Well I have been on the Paradigm pump for more than 10 years.  I have
> consistently used my tubing and reservoir for 6 to 7 days and never had a
> problem or even a suspected problem with the reservoir or tubing.  I have
> had a few times when I pushed the canula to a 4th day, and that can lead
> problems.
>
> So I am now tossing into the bin 5 perfectly good tubings per month
because
> of this change.
>
> Is this really based on medical data or experience?  Or is this so
Medtronic