From: robert wine <email @ redacted>
To: IP <email @ redacted>
Sent: Fri, Aug 22, 2014 08:41 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] for Cheryl McQ

0px;font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;font-size: 12px;color:
#000;background-color: #fff;">

<pre style="font-size: 9pt;"><tt>Dear Cheryl,

Yes, diabetes can be devastating to you physically, emotionally and
financially. You have EVERY RIGHT to despise what it did, does and in your
case, when it happened. I was a high school senior and my first thought was
that girls would never like me because I was a freak who lived off a needle.

However, in order to conquer something like this, give it the attitude that it
could be worse and you are blessed to live in a time when med tech is
INCREDIBLE. I was throwing myself a mega-sized pity party back in 1981. I
hated the idea of being a weakling because my body let me down and I was just
starting my adult life. However, I did something that fixed my pity party and
inner whining (yes I was feeling sorry for myself), I took a walk around the
hospital and the last place I visited, but I was sure this would work, was the
cancer ward. I listened to those crying out in pain, saw those in oxygen tents
or coughing their lungs out, those who wouldn't be alive by the time I was
released a few days later. I came to the realization that this is a condition
that I can manage, can live with (although not as easily as I could live
without it) and that I could be all that God intended of me. Yes I have to go
to the doctor more than once a year, yes I have to
 do blood tests multiple times daily (back then it was urine tests on a yellow
strip), yes I have to watch what I eat, yes I might have an insulin reaction
(more properly named low blood sugar) from time to time. However, after seeing
those who would never go home again, I quit feeling sorry for myself and
developed the attitude that I'm blessed because this is survivable.

Yeah, we have to take extra steps and incur costs that others don't, but we
can ALL live long happy and prosperous lives if we behave ourselves (barring
other things like accidental death, etc.) and be contributing members
of society. So Cheryl (and anyone else), don't let the diabetes win, just let
it become a part of your life that you deal with (much like walking, etc.) and
hold you head up high. You aren't an outcast or anything else, you are a human
being with a survivable condition that just takes a bit more effort. As far as
your parents divorcing, yes the timing did stink. However, with a divorce rate
of approximately 50%, it does happen pretty much constantly in the USA. I was
a victim of divorce as a young child, twice (8 and 14). I'm sorry your folks
couldn't work it out and that you might not have the support of both at such a
bad time as this. However, remember dreams can still be reached, love can
still be found and happiness and
 fulfillment can still be yours with or without this disease. There are plenty
of diabetes support groups out there more than happy to teach and support you
along with your family and friends.

Thanks for listening and I hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Bob Wine

On Friday, August 22, 2014 7:50 AM, Signe Myhren
 <<a
href="mailto:email @ redacted">email @ redacted</a>>
wrote:

Cheryl -

You had every right to have had a terrible attitude towards your Type I
diabetes, following your parents' separation!

I once said to my endo "The trouble with Type I diabetes is that, before it
strikes, it doesn't check to see if its intended victim will have the
emotional,
intellectual and financial resources necessary to manage it!" She thoroughly
agreed!

Signe

Sent from my iPhone
 Follow us at <a href="https://www.twitter.com/insulinpumpers"
target="_blank">https://www.twitter.com/insulinpumpers</a>
 Make a long URL short at <a href="http://type1.org/"
target="_blank">http://type1.org/</a>
 Follow us at <a href="https://www.twitter.com/insulinpumpers"
target="_blank">https://www.twitter.com/insulinpumpers</a>
 Make a long URL short at <a href="http://type1.org"
target="_blank">http://type1.org</a>
</tt></pre>
 <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_6e2bd7a8-dffc-4656-b3a8-be93dbb02423 -->