[IP] New pediatric dx Toronto/east Toronto advice?

Hello all,

 Haven't been participating in a while, but I need help. I'm long term type 1,
10 yr old ds was dxd at 12 mos.

 My sister tested her 8 yr old's bg, and it was 30 mmol/l (That's the canadian
units, about 540 mg/dl). Kid feels pretty good and is staying well hydrated.
She's camping 4 hrs from Toronto. Her ped told her to go to the nearest er. They
apparently checked her bg, and ketones (negative) and are planning to give her
dinner and insulin, and release her to drive home and go to an endo appt
tomorrow am. Here new dx are typically in patient. Spending your first night at
home with a diabetic child, no education, sounds kind of nuts.

 Anyone with btdt advice for pediatric diagnosis? Her appt tomorrow am is with
the ped endo unit at Rouge Valley Health Clinic at Centenary in Scarborough. The
hospital called Sick Kids, who recommended the endo.

Thank you in advance.

Colleen