[IP] beer, eh?

Denise,

Be advised that diabetics are SUPPOSED to be alcoholics. At least I am. I've
 been a practicing alcoholic for over ..... gee, let me get my calculator ......
  1964. How many years IS that, anyway? I am also a cheap bastard, so once upon
 time I decided to make my own. It is a LOT less expensive if you make your own.
 Now, of course, it is perfectly legal (in MOST states) to do just that. Back in
1964 no one knew for sure.

 So, now to the actual present. I stopped making beer just a couple of years ago
due to another completely unrelated thing. But let me tell you, beer has a lot
 of carbohydrates in it before it brews and a few left over AFTER it is finished
brewing. Dark beer, especially, has a lot of carbohydrates.  They are (malted
barley is what it actually is) used to balance the flavor. That is why they
taste so good (right?).

So, here's the solution. Take some more insulin. If your blood sugar goes up
more than you thought it would, take MORE insulin. But be very very careful
since alcohol (which is USUALLY contained in that beer) can affect your liver
 and slow down the release of glycogen and your blood sugar will fail to come up
when it needs to do so.

 So, consider there are at least two slices of toast in your glass of dark beer.
Enjoy it but bolus for it. If you want to drink more, make sure that your
 significant other (how much did HE -- or she -- have to drink) knows how to
pump
some MORE CHO into your poor old body. And I use the word "old" rhetorically.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hold on, I need to go get some more
beer.

NT